Author Topic: installation problem, step 5  (Read 2086 times)

Offline hq

installation problem, step 5
« on: January 09, 2017, 04:58:05 AM »
phpEnter Web Hosting
Hello.

Turns out that the installation of beta version 4.2.7 is anything but "easy".  ???

First I got severly stuck at step 2 but managed to somehow get around that, thanks to a couple of threads in this forum. Didn't give me any good vibrations though, that I had to cheat myself through the installation process but hey, better than nothing? :o

However, now step 5 is being the permanent problem, generating the following error:
"Install PHP Enter - Step 5

Admin Account
can't open file - check CHMOD".

I CHMODDED all of the folders and files mentioned in other threads here (i.e. "salt.php", "temp.php" (including subfolders and files), "admin/salt.php", "admin", the "maxthumb" and "minthumb" folders and possibly something more) and added a blank "version.php", also with access 777 (correct?) but still no success.

First I used 755 and then tried with 777.
Some of the files mentioned already had 755 acccess from the start.

So, anyone have any idea as to what might be causing the error?

I read that among the requirements is a "GD Library". Is there an easy way to find out if the server (at http://www.freewha.com) has implemented that and could the lack of it cause errors like the one mentioned?

Lastly, why is there no "readme.html" file included, regarding installation? From my experience that's a common practise.

Thanks beforehand for helping out!
(and good luck!) 8)

Offline goli

Re: installation problem, step 5
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:35:52 AM »
PHP files (salt.php, version.php) need to have chmod 644 in order to give the correct permissions. Folders 755 or 777.

You need to give a temporary (777 ) permission to admin folder as when arriving in step 5 the script needs to create a special file file called version.php

If you already have files salt.php, admin/version.php and admin/salt.php remove this lines from install4.php:

Code: [Select]
$fh = fopen($mcFile, 'w') or die("can't open file - check CHMOD");
$fh = fopen($saFile, 'w') or die("can't open file - check CHMOD");
$fh = fopen($incFile, 'w') or die("can't open file - check CHMOD");

Offline hq

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:51:34 AM »
Thanks a lot!

Now it's actually working, except for maybe adding new categories, which doesn't work at all.
I wonder why. I get an error message letting me know, that a certain column can't be "NULL".

Furthermore, whenever I CHMOD the "Admin" folder "wrongly", towards lesser privileges, then I get a message that I need to install the scripts.

And maybe the file "admin/config.php" shouldn't have 777 access? What's the correct access for that file and for the "admin" folder?

Right now the admin folder has 711 access, which is probably wrong. I think it's supposed to have 700 access. Somehow it makes sense. Although I don't consider myself to be a total newbie, I'm not sure about the difference between the "read" and "execute" privileges.

At the moment, it's possible for anyone to reach the login screen at: www.[mysite]/admin and that just has to be wrong.  :-\

If someone has the right to read, but not execute, a file, then what happens? And vice versa.

PHP files (salt.php, version.php) need to have chmod 644 in order to give the correct permissions. Folders 755 or 777.

Does that mean that the other threads, which I mentioned, gave the wrong info on CHMODDING? They only mentioned 755 and 777, depending on the server.

Finally, I still find it to be strange, that there's no "README.html" file.

And what about the contents on the news site?
Shouldn't there be some kind of automatic way to add news contents, instead of a blank site? News, through RSS, plugins, or what do I know.

Don't want to sound lazy but: a news site script without news? What is it worth?
Yeah it's free to download and install but...

Anyway, thanks again for helping out.
Regards.  :D

Offline goli

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »
1. admin/salt.php and admin/config.php -> permission like other files in admin folder
2. folder admin -> permission like other folders

:)

Offline hq

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
Ok, thanks again.

I still find it to be wrong, that anyone is able to see www.SITENAME.XXX/admin.
And still I don't see that adding the news categories function is working.
Nor do I see an easy way to add news to the site from within the admin control panel. :o